Dj SheepWolf
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sponsors

Send a email to Our Team for business and informations.

Art Theft - Please read!

Go down

Art Theft - Please read! Empty Art Theft - Please read!

Post by Dillan Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:33 pm

Nordue wrote:Art Theft: A Guide by Songdog

Art theft is when you claim that a picture/artwork/poem/story is yours, when you did not make it. This also includes altering images that are not yours, or distributing artwork under the impression that you are the creator. Forums moderators and staff will not hesitate to address art theft.

Illegal use is when you use a picture that is not yours, or that you do not have permission to use. It is not art theft, as you do not claim it to be yours. However, this is still illegal. This includes using artwork in videos, as avatars, or posting on websites. Most of the time, there is only a problem when you use a person's artwork or literature—not so much with photography. However, it is still illegal usage, regardless on if you are asked to remove the work or not. Please note that our Forum is not responsible for addressing illegal image use, but you are sill liable to any charges the owner of the illegally used material may choose to pursue with you.

Fair use is when you receive the creator's permission to use their work as an icon or to post it on a website. The creator may give you personal permission upon request, or they may state "This picture is free to use as long as you don't claim it as your own." Some artists do this. Not many do. Some artist may let you use their art, only under certain conditions (EX: Leave the watermark attached, do not alter, provide a link back, etc.).

FALSE: If it's on Google, I can use it.
-Google does not own the copyright to the images you see. Google links to images from all sorts of websites. Every time you click on an image, below the image Google states
"Image may be scaled down and subject to copyright."

FALSE: If it's on the internet, I can use it, and it's the artist's fault if some one takes it.
-Many artists like to show their work online and ask for opinions. This does not mean you can use it. If you take their artwork, they are not the one's at fault: YOU are. You are the one who can be fined.

TRUE: When I draw or write something that is original, it belongs to me without having to pay for it.
-The current copyright laws state that if you write or draw something it belongs to you. While you may not be able to sue people over usage (depending on if it was commercial use or not) you are still entitled to your work, and have some legal protection.

Where can you find free use images? Check out: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page. This is a huge database of legal images to use.

You can also search online for free-use galleries; there are dozens of them out there, you just have to look. And always read the guidelines carefully. MorgueFile and Flickr (Filtering for Creative Commons) are good examples.

Of course, you can always ask an artist permission to use their work, or ask an artist to make you an icon.
Source: http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=76243#p2349914
Dillan
Dillan
Admin

Customer Status
Ranking: I'm not a buyer yet.
Total Purchases Total Purchases: 0

http://yauniverse.wow3.info

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum